Zenith

Happy Summer Solstice to those in the Northern Hemisphere, and Happy Winter Solstice to those in the Southern Hemisphere!

It's the summer solstice for us, and so our summer rhythm begins to take form.

I wake early, and make the bed unless it's a sheet washing day. If Papa is still in it I leave the task for later, but in summer he is often out of the house early for a morning bike ride. I dress, which this time of year means pulling on a light, floaty sundress.  The dogs and I make our way to the front of the house.

I drink a glass of water, slip on sandals, and walk the dogs around the block. I need the sunshine as much as they need the exercise. It takes only 10 minutes or so, unless we decide to go around a second time. This is the coolest air I am likely to feel on my skin all day. Depending on who is awake and who is home, I may have human company on my walk as well.

Back in the house, I tend the kefir and prepare smoothies for breakfast. Then I sit on the porch and listen to the birds. Sometimes I take out the newspaper or a book, sometimes Papa joins me and we visit before he heads to work, and sometime I just sit. Once finished, I bring in the pool towels that have been hung to dry on the porch raining, and put them in their respective pool bags, ready for service again.

I tidy the kitchen and front rooms. Once everyone is finished with showers I start a load of laundry, and I bring in any clothes that hung outside overnight. I finish my daily chores do any weekly home keeping chores as well. If necessary, I begin the main meal preparation, and also chop fresh fruits and vegetables for snacking on.

Chores completed, I bathe, and wash my hair if it's a hair washing day.

Usually this is all completed before 10 a.m. After that we might do errands, such as going to the library or stopping by the produce stand. If not, I'll choose a less strenuous task to work on, like paying bills and filing paperwork, or tidying in the craft room. My goal is to complete most of my non-creative chores before noon.

Then it's lunch with Papa, and after that we either head to the pool (if there is an evening bike ride scheduled) or hang out. If we stay home we might read, create, or visit with friends. It's the perfect time to knit cotton dish cloths, plan meals, or work on a scrapbook. It's also when I do any mending that might be needed. The boys might watch history or science programs, and this summer they are doing some practice assessment tests.

By mid-afternoon I'll start to think about what we can have for supper. Rice and miso soup, muffins and fruit, hard-boiled eggs and toast ... we've already had our big meal at midday, so we keep the evening meal light. Some nights it might be as simple as popcorn and watermelon, or even just ice cream or sorbet.

Depending on the evening, we either go to the pool or the guys have a bike training ride. We're usually home from all of that by 7 - 7:30, and then we eat a late supper (after showers). If there's time we'll kick back and listen to a record album or play a game, or perhaps take the dogs around the block again if it hasn't been brutally hot. Around 8:45/9:00 p.m. I slip back out onto the porch with a glass of ice water to enjoy the last light of the evening, when the blues deepen and the silhouettes of the trees gently fade away.

Finally it is time to brush my teeth, wash my face, say goodnight to my boys, and climb into bed with a book or magazine.

Comments

Popular Posts