Reimagining everything....

I finished the Enki Early Childood Education Guide last night. I gained a lot of insight into Boy #2, who is really just on the cusp of 1st grade. The reading I had done in books 1 and 2 of the Guide last August, as well the reading in book 3 of the guide, all started coming together. And I got an idea...

(Okay, pieces of this idea had been floating around in my mind for a few weeks.)

Enki recommends taking off your 3 best months, weather-wise for your break. For us that is easily Fall. So I thought, what if I extend 1st grade through September? It gives Boy #2 more time in 1st grade, and Boy #1 a chance to gain some of the 1st grade concepts that our Waldorf curriculum didn't even introduce. It also give us more time to work on sensory integration before beginning grade 2 concepts.

We would start grade 2 in January. That would be "late" for Boy #1, and early for Boy #2, but with Enki you work both together in the same grade anyway (when they are less than 2 years apart in age). It is far better for Boy #2, and it doesn't hurt Boy #1.

Today I worked and planned. I have a daily flow, a weekly flow, and a core plan for May-September. I have to plan May's block quickly, but I think flying by the seat of my pants will be okay as we get started, since most of the material has had time to sleep and I am transitioning from Waldorf which isn't a huge change (okay, it is a big change, but not as big as changing from something like The Well-Trained Mind). We'll have to catch up on the key word journals. I obviously have to finish the Grade 1 Guide, and quickly. I did skim it before.

I am feeling much better about our schooling.

Comments

Popular Posts