The Middle of the Night
My AmityMama friend, Meeshi, often uses a simple format to frame her blog posts, and I thought I'd give it a try.
- I am feeling ~ calmer now that I got out of bed. Underneath that I'm slightly stressed that tonight is an I can't sleep night. Even worse, it is an I'm not tired, I can't sleep night. My stomach is upset. It's a bad night for it, as FIL is here and I need to be present in the morning (and I stayed in bed far too long tossing and turning because the family room isn't available to me). But there's nothing I can do about it. I'm so tempted to just stay awake and see if I can do a total sleep system reset, but I do have to drive FIL to the station tomorrow. I guess I'll try to sleep again in a little while.
- I am hearing ~ the constant hum of the highway, despite the late hour. My computer fan. The tap of my fingers on the keyboard. Little else.
- I am seeing ~ my computer screen, the glow of the little lamp, wood floors, wood chairs, wood table. The neighbor's porch light, and the glow of light from inside their house. Perhaps someone is awake over there as well.
- I am smelling ~ nothing. The food smells have dissipated from the house or I have gotten used to them
- I am thankful for ~ my newfound ability to find peace and calm in a situation that used to provoke severe anxiety.
- I am planning ~ to be really gentle with myself tomorrow (uh, today). I'm thinking about how I can be present for the boys when the exhaustion inevitably sets in. I have to accept that my nerves will be a little raw, so there will need to be time for connection and time for rejuvenation.
- I am hoping . . . that I will find an answer to the insomnia. I am not worried that I need to figure it out today, after all, I have battled insomnia fairly regularly for more than a decade now, and even as a child I had an awareness of being unable to sleep at times.